Frangula californica 'Eve Case' (coffeeberry)
California native Coffeeberry (previously classified as Rhamnus californica)
A slow growing evergreen shrub that grows up to six feet high and wide. It can be pruned to maintain a smaller shape. It has fragrant green yellow blossoms that bloom in the spring and summer. In the fall this shrub has red berries, which can be toxic. This plant produces a pollen that can produce an allergic reaction.
You can lightly pinch or prune at any time. Can be sheared in spring for a formal hedge or screen.
- Plant in full sun, part shade, or shade
- Tolerant of most soils, best in heavy clay
- Water once a month, especially during summer
- Great companion plant under evergreen oaks
- Drought tolerant
- Hardy to 5 degrees
- Attracts birds, bees, and butterflies
- Native to California