Myrica californica, Pacific Wax Myrtle
Pacific Wax Myrtle, California Bayberry
Evergreen shrub or small native tree that grows between 10-30’ tall and 10-12’ wide.
You can hedge or shear the plant any time except in the hot summer months. Young plants should be pruned into a single or multi trunk tree. You can also pinch or lightly prune to promote dense growth habit.
- Full sun in coastal areas and afternoon shade in inland areas
- needs regular water in inland areas, especially in summertime
- Great companion plant under evergreen oaks
- Fragrant foliage
- an excellent hedge or screen
- Great for erosion control and bank stabilization
- amazing plant that builds soil health by adding nitrogen to the soil by way of its roots! This nutrient transferring action benefits surrounding plants and reduces the need for additional fertilizer and irrigation!
- Fire resistant
- Native to California