Adenostoma fasciculatum (Chamise)
Tongva - huutah
Kumeyaay - iipshii
Member of the Rose family, is a fast growing, flowering plant native to California and northern Baja California. This shrub is one of the most widespread plants of the chaparral biome, sometimes forming monotypic stands. This tough evergreen shrub that grows up to five feet tall and wide.
- Plant in full sun
- Very low water needs
- Water once a month after the first year
- Tolerant of sand and clay. Soil PH: 5.0 - 8.0
- Drainage fast, medium, slow
- Hardy up to 15 degrees
- Attracts birds and butterflies
- Native to California and Northern Baja California
- Caution flammable, leaves are shiny with flammable oils, especially in warmer weather. It is said to be highly flammable but can be kept fire-resistant by occasional watering.