Frangula cal. 'Mound San Bruno', Coffeeberry
Common name: San Bruno Coffeeberry
An evergreen shrub that grows up to four feet high and twelve feet wide. It has fragrant green yellow blossoms that bloom in the spring and summer. In the fall this shrub has red or purple berries. The berries are toxic. This plant produces a pollen that can produce an allergic reaction.
You can lightly pinch or prune at any time. Can be sheared in spring for a formal hedge or screen.
An easy California Native to grow in the Los Angeles area. For more recommendations visit our Easiest California Native Plants to grow in your garden guide.
- Plant in full sun or shade
- Tolerant of most soils
- Water once a month, especially during summer
- Great companion plant under evergreen oaks
- Drought tolerant
- Fire resistant
- Great for erosion control and bank stabilization
- Hardy to 15 degrees
- Attracts butterflies, birds, and bees
-Native to California