Frangula californica 'Leatherleaf' (coffeeberry)
California native Leatherleaf Coffeeberry (previously classified as Rhamnus)
An evergreen shrub that grows six to eight feet high and wide. It can be pruned to maintain a smaller shape. It has fragrant green white blossoms that bloom in the spring and summer. In the fall this shrub has red berries, which can be toxic.
Great for bank stabilization and sloping sites! Easy to grow!
- Plant in full sun or shade
- Tolerant of most soils, best in heavy clay
- Water once a month, especially during summer
- Great companion plant under evergreen oaks
- Drought tolerant
- Attracts birds, butterflies and bees
- Hardy to 15 degrees
- Native to California