DIY Natural Dye Kit - Kid's Cotton T- Shirt
DIY Natural Dye Kit - Kid's Cotton T-Shirt
Dye your own tee with organic natural dye powder, mostly derived from our kitchen scraps! This kit is equipped with everything you need to dye a cotton t-shirt with natural dye powder!
The kit is stocked with more dye powder than you need for one tee- you can always save the powder or freeze the dye vat! Just make sure to scour and mordant your own 100% cotton, linen, or silk fabric before dipping them.
We have pre-mordanted the cotton tees with alum.
What is mordanting fabric? We washed the fabric (scoured the fabric)- to remove any contaminants used during the manufacturing process to make the garment. Then we mordanted the fabric.
Why does the fabric need to be pre treated with a mordant? Basically we want the dye to stick to the fabric and not wash out right away. Mordanting the fabric with Alum helps form a chemical bond between the dye and the fabric. Natural dyes need help forming chemical bonds to natural fabrics.
The dye powder is natural derived from plants, these colors will be lighter than chemical dyes. Colors in fabric may fade over time in the sun.
- Pre-mordanted One T-Shirt
- Rubber Bands
- Organic dye powder:
Orange - Onion Skin
Pink - Cochineal
Yellow - Turmeric
- Dyes from your Garden, Kitchen, and Compost Zine by Berbo Studio
- Mix dye powder + four cups of water (or enough to cover the fabric) in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer dye for an hour- think of making tea.
- Tie fabric with rubber bands or clip on the clothespins. We love using the shibori method.
- Wet fabric.
- Place wet fabric in simmering pot.
- Simmer for an hour. Can be left in the pot (burner turned off) for up to a day.
- Remove fabric from dye pot.
- Wring out fabric
-Hang dry in a shady area
- Wash in cold water
Check out our favorite natural dyer- Berbo Studio for more tips and information on Natural Dyeing. We love attending her classes and walks! - https://berbostudio.com/
Size Chest Length Sleeve XS 2-4 26 18 4 S 6-8 30 20 5 M 10-12 32 23 6 L 14-16 34 24 6 XL 18-20 40 27 7