Organic Tiger Tomato - Lycopersicon lycopersicum Seeds
Organic Tiger Tomato
A favorite of our friends at the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center and a favorite of ours! Seed originally given to Doug Gosling. Did great in our cool Point Reyes summer. This is a different variety that the most commonly found Tiger. Very early, medium-small sized fruits.
- Sun: Full
- Indoors: 3-6 weeks before last frost
- Direct Sow: No
- Seed Count: 25
- Days to Maturity: 65 - 75
- Plant Size: 3'-5' vine
Indeterminate. Bone meal is an ideal fertilizer. Add mulch to base of plant. Use trellis or cage to support vines. Remove decayed fruit to promote new growth.
Seeds should be planted indoors and kept in a dome with a heated mat for 4-8 weeks.
It is key that your new starts be hardened off. This is a process that requires taking them outside during the day, for a period of time, before they are planted. This acclimates your seedlings to the outside world, meaning the elements like the wind and sun. We do it for several weeks to a month as this strengthens their stems and overall plant structure.
- Start for a short period of time initially, then graduate to more time each day
- One week minimum is recommended
- Bring them inside in the early evening and overnight
- Keep an eye on them and constantly water them. Make sure they have not blown over.